Tuesday 15 March 2011

2 Days Not 9 Hours to Aberdeen

I'm starting a new job in Aberdeen next week. Kind of lovely to get the role, granted it’s a contract position and it’s a little awkward to travel to (OK a lot awkward, seeing as I live in London in the south east of England and Aberdeen is all the way in Scotland) which is over 9 hours drive. However I saw it as an opportunity and went for it. 

So here goes, on my initial trip to Aberdeen for the job interview, I decided for several reasons (money and convenience) to go by coach. The coach trip took 12hrs (yes half a day, I kid you not). However as I was travelling overnight Sunday to Monday it was beneficial as I got to sleep on the coach arriving at Aberdeen mid day on Monday. 
My interview was on Monday afternoon, and the timing worked great. However after being on the coach overnight, I kind of didn’t smell so good. Never fear smarty pants here (<me) had prepared for this, I had packed my interview clothes along with some on the go toiletries. So when I got to Aberdeen I made a beeline for the nearest mall, which was fortunately for me annexed to the coach station. This was no basic mall, this mall was newly done and to a very high standard if I might add (O yea!).  I went to first to the ladies and brushed my teeth (you do not want to know the weird looks I got doing this at the ladies sink), then I went into a stall and cleansed with wipes (several and several wipes), came back out to put on my makeup with the aid of the huge and properly lighted bathroom mirrors. My next stop was a ladies clothing store, a brief browse and pick of a couple of items from the rack and I made my way to the fitting rooms.  I went into the fitting room in jeans, a t-shirt and plimsolls and came out in a dress suit, tights, heels and a whiff of “very valentino” perfume (booyah!!!).  I handed my quick pick store clothes to the attendant and headed for the coach station lockers, stored my luggage jumped in taxi and headed for my interview. 

Got there early with time to spare, the interview went great (must have, got the job) and I scored points when I responded to the interviewer’s question of how I travelled to Aberdeen. Back at the mall after another cab ride, I sit to have Mexican for lunch (areeba) and treated myself to a cocktail [which was richly deserved]. A couple of  hours later, lunch done, window shopping done, changed into regular clothes and took a leisurely walk back to the coach station. Yes another overnight trip; with me sweetly snoring most of the journey back to London. 

To recuperate, I had long soak, with a cool glass of water chasing down a full English breakfast and just as I was retiring for a nap, I received the call that I’d got the job. Suffice to say I took the nap with a big smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment